The Urban Ministry Center depends on the generosity of volunteers to meet the daily needs of our homeless neighbors. Every year, nearly 10,000 regular, seasonal and one-time volunteers lend their heart and hands to our work. Our hope is that the work at Urban Ministry Center brings change in people’s lives – in the lives of our homeless neighbors and in the lives of volunteers. We invite you to become a part of this ministry.
- All volunteers must be scheduled by the volunteer office–we need to know you’re coming! This enables us to ensure a rewarding experience and helps with safety and efficiency.
- Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Monday – Friday 8:20am – 12:00pm; 12:00pm – 1:30pm; or 1:20pm – 4:20pm
- Front desk or upstairs reception
- Personal services assistant (shower and laundry)
- Computer lab support
- Job search support
- Van driver
- Mail sorter (10:30 – 12:30)
- Office & staff assistant (times flexible)
- Data Entry (times flexible)
- Front Desk support
- Computer Lab Assistance
- Mail and office organization
- Data entry
- ArtWorks945 email Maria Mazzocco
- GardenWorks945 email Trish Fries
- StreetSoccer945 email Pete Fink
- HousingWorks email Katie Church
- Room In The Inn reception check-in (4:30 – 6:30 p.m. Dec through Mar) email Paul Hanneman
- Drink Groups (4-6 people): bring and serve drinks for 400 (200 on the weekends). Your group will set up in the dining room and pass out drinks to neighbors as they get their lunches. Bring either bottled drinks -or- cups, powdered drinks, and ice (~5 10lb bags) to serve 400 Monday-Friday, or 200 on Saturday or Sunday. Use the Group Form to self-schedule your group.
- Operation Sandwich (any number to assemble, 1 to deliver): make 100-800 sandwiches for the Soup Kitchen. Click here for more information.
- GardenWorks945 (2-12 people): no experience needed – Help us weed, harvest, and get things accomplished in our garden! Use the Group Form to self-schedule your group.
For groups larger than 15, please consider an off-site activity, a donation drive, or check in with us to make special arrangements. We may have other opportunities available, like bringing a treat (cookies, sno-cones, hot coffee, or a cook-out), deep cleaning, trail-mix assembly line and distribution, or running a bingo game or game day. We’re open to your ideas too! Fill out the Group Form and let us know your needs/desires to help.